An Explanation, Please: Lt. Gov. Kinder Still Silent On Disturbing
Reports About His Behavior
Jefferson City, Mo.—Several days after local and national news outlets published reports about Lt. Gov. Peter Kinder’s unusual personal conduct and potentially violent behavior toward a St. Louis woman, as well as his frequent visits to a St. Louis bar known for its nightly “pantless parties,” Kinder still refuses to provide any explanation for his conduct. Today, the Missouri Democratic Party is calling on Lt. Gov. Kinder to provide an honest, complete explanation to the people of Missouri.
“Once again, Peter Kinder’s odd and inappropriate behavior is raising serious questions about his judgment. Peter Kinder owes the people of Missouri an immediate explanation,” said Caitlin Legacki, Missouri Democratic Party spokeswoman. “Just a few months ago, Peter Kinder was caught spending thousands of taxpayer dollars to stay at luxury hotels and attend fancy parties – and now this. Without a complete and convincing explanation, it’s simply hard to imagine Peter Kinder retaining any credibility with the people of Missouri.”
The only comment from Kinder’s office regarding this scandal came last Friday, when his spokesman offered this bizarre response: “I really highly doubt the lieutenant governor is going to a bar where they don't wear pants on a night when they don't wear pants…I don't know where he was...I wasn't with him.” [Kinder Spokesman Jay Eastlick, Riverfront Times, 8/5/2011]
Kinder's failure to address the reports about his conduct has drawn scrutiny about his behavior from local and national news outlets:
- KC Star: Missouri Lt. Gov. Kinder won't comment on tie to ex-Penthouse Pet
- PoliticMo: Republicans worried about fallout from Kinder allegations
- Politico Morning Score: A Missouri Mess—Pantless Parties, a Penthouse Pet and a Campaign-Funded Condo
- KC Star's Barb Shelly: Lt. Gov. Peter Kinder's walk on the wild side?
- STL Public Radio: Allegations of Kinder history with ex-stripper could damage his political future, UMSL prof. says
- KMOX: Likely Candidate For Mo Governor Mum On Claims Of Former Penthouse Pet
- Politico: Penthouse pet says Kinder pursued her
- Riverfront Times: Penthouse Pet Dishes on Peter Kinder: "He Was One of My Best Customers"
- Washington Post: Kinder Might want to talk to his spokesman.
- Politico: Here's a no brainer: Potential candidates for governor shouldn't be seen posing with former porn stars at pantless bars.
- Keith Olbermann: Peter Kinder is one of the worst people in the world.
- ThinkProgress: Missouri Lt. Gov. Peter Kinder (R) got caught with pants down (almost literally)
- Roll Call: There ain’t no party like a no-pants party? Missouri Lt. Gov. Peter Kinder (R) seems to think so.
- National Journal: Quote of the Day